P&G Cheer Detergent
P&G was looking for a way to engage the Cheer design, technology and marketing teams with Design Thinking methodologies to transform an ordinary brand into something extraordinary.
Successful product development requires a holistic focus on the customer across diverse parts of the organization. The best results happen when teams share a common vision of the consumer experience, competitive landscape and business objectives.
P&G turned to Kaleidoscope to create an immersive brand experience that was disruptive and engaging to cut through the noise to energize, inspire and unite the Cheer team.
Kaleidoscope created a “hyper immersive environment” that ignited the design, technology and marketing teams. Much more than a brick-and-mortar loft location that removed team members from their day-to-day world, the Cheer loft experience gave them a space where their senses could be stimulated by sights, smells, textures, imagery, brand stimulus, fashion trends, consumer architypes, music and videos in a high fashion theme.
With only a few weeks’ notice, the Kaleidoscope team created a multi-sensory space that communicated the product vision and spurred ideation through development of:
- A manifesto or mission statement to set the overall tone
- More than 7 consumer personas/archetypes to embody the core audience
- Marketplace snapshot that reflected the current competitive landscape
- Visual insights with video interviews from consumers and key internal stakeholders
- Product concepts (sketches and/or models)
- Macro- and Micro-level trend data visualization
- Scenario exercises that capture possible visions of the future
- Installment and curation of multiple stations along the path including video content, boards, products and product concepts
- An innovation toolkit and facilitated sessions to capture the experience and ideation
- A takeaway book and video to share insights across broader teams
Methods employed included:
- Consumer research design, research and visualization of findings
- Immersive experience design of the environment
- Trend analysis, synthesis and visualization
- Market analysis and visualization
- Workshop development and facilitation
- Innovative toolkit development to spur ideation and ability to capture findings
“Kaleidoscope provided a ‘hyper immersive environment’ that integrated design, technology and marketing.”
Project Lead, Cheer Brand
Although it was originally designed to serve as the setting for a single meeting, the Cheer loft lived for over a year and helped to:
- Serve as a catalyst for dozens of innovation activities, including the launch of a new line
- Create product concepts that ranged from simply repackaging existing chemistry to complex fabric care systems
- Paint a picture of the new Cheer consumer through archetypes
- Capture key concepts through video interviews and visualization to enhance alignment
- Inspire a team and ignite them toward a new vision of Cheer as an essential fashion accessory
“Kaleidoscope provided a ‘hyper immersive environment’ that integrated design, technology and marketing teams.”
— Project Lead, Cheer Brand